Following the closure of HMP Holloway, Reclaim Justice Network are now working closely with the Reclaim Holloway coalition to build a broad-based, local campaign to ensure the site is protected for benefit of women, Londoners and the local community.
- Reclaim Justice Network is sponsoring an upcoming demo on the 18th February to call on the Ministry of Justice to loan the visitors’ centre at HMP Holloway to a partnership of local community groups, so that it can be run by them in the interests of the community.
- Want more updates? You can follow the emerging community plan for Holloway via #plan4holloway
- Reclaim Holloway coalition continues to meet every Wednesday at the Hilldrop Community Centre in Islington, and can be contacted here.
New Prison Builds
The government has announced a ‘prison building revolution’, committing to the construction of 9 new prisons across England and Wales. Reclaim Justice Network opposes these plans.
- The Guardian recently published our open letter calling for an immediate moratorium on prison building, signed by more than 75 individuals, organisations, academics and activists. The full list of signatories not featured in The Guardian article is viewable on our website.
- You can take action against the government’s prison building programme by submitting an objection and raising your concerns for two new prisons now. Click here for more details and sample objections.
- Several actions were held across the country for International Trans Prisoner Day of Solidarity, including a vigil outside HMP Pentonville and a noise demo at HMP Doncaster.
- LendLease headquarters in Salford were occupied by anti-prison protestors.
- The new mega prison in Wrexham will start accepting inmates from the 27th February.
- The latest government statistics on safety in prison reveal the highest number of prisoner suicides since records began.
- Organising meeting to start the Stop Trump movement | 9th February, London
- No More Prisons conference to discuss, grow and mobilise an anti-prison movement across the UK | 4th-5th March, Manchester
- Visions of Abolition film screening | 23rd February, Leicester
If you want to receive more regular updates from Reclaim Justice Network, please follow our Twitter and Facebook pages.